Hola guap@s!

Estoy en Espana. Creo que ese hecho es finalmente golpeandome. (Para las personas que hablan espanol en realidad, por favor, disculpeme y mi uso liberal y fatal de Google Translate). Pero, esta entrada no es para espaƱol. Las que siguen, si - porque tengo que practicar. Y ya esta.


Yes. Spain. Southern Spain to be a bit more exact. (I’m debating how paranoid I am and whether or not I want to divulge the city I’m in. But I guess if someone were dedicated enough to stalk me, they probably already know where I am and are currently observing me and my paranoia.) I’m spending the semester in Granada. Doing what? Learning Spanish. Now, I don’t need you to tell me that I’m skyving - the abuelita en mi casa already thinks I don’t go to school and am just wasting my parents money. =D I made the decision a bit late last year and I wasn’t very good about informing people about this decision. (Love you Neens). But estoy aqui and I have the chance to be on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean for a bit. =D


How has Spain been? A lot. In many senses. For me, living in a place where I know that the four year olds can express themselves more elegantly than I can has been disconcerting and exhilarating. If nothing comes out of this trip, I at least know that I made good use of my face, neck and appendages with all the smiling, nodding and gesticulating I’ve done. But poco a poco right? My first meal with my host family, I had no idea what was being said but by the end of the week, I could say, “Yo entiendo” with a bit more confidence. As of now, writing and listening are easier than reading and speaking. I know there’s a part of me that wants to say things perfectly and the trap is that I end up saying nothing at all sometimes. There’s a part of me throwing a tantrum because I want people to know that I’m capable of full sentences - paragraphs even! - in English. But a part of learning a new language and being in a new country is embracing the embarrassing moments. I’m still working on that. I want to be better at laughing at myself by the time I leave.


*Another part of me that I’m working on is doing things that I want to do and not things that I think I should be doing because Mari Angeles from two doors down said it was “muy chullo” and I should try it. Yuh understand wah me a chat bout? Too often I put pressure on myself from who knows which part and forget that I am whole and complete because I’m fearfully and wonderfully made. So Jose can say all him wah say but it should be like water off a duck’s back for me.*


But all in all, I cyah complain. Echo de menos al pliegue, a mis amigos, a mi familia pero - that's expected. Thankfully I get to keep in touch because technology is amazing. I have ideas swimming in my head for how I’m going to do posts about Spain. We've done a few trips with the program and I have pictures and notes in my journal so I can write those up. The roommate has asked for recipes so I could do something about that here as well. I’m also doing a “practica” con el Departamento de Botanica y tengo que escribir sobre eso tambien. Pero vamos a ver. I also ned to decide how the language thing will work. Mejor espanol no?

La cancion es "El Mismo Sol" de Alvaro Soler.


Es todo que quiero decir ahora. I hope you’re doing well.

Gracias por leer,
Keren


4 Comments

Keep them coming but keep them clean!

Keren Creates. Powered by Blogger.