Hi everyone,

I'm starting back The Sunday Currently because I have more free time and they helped me process some of my thoughts.

A lot has happened in the past few weeks. From Orlando to Baghdad to South Sudan to Baton Rouge to Dallas to Taiwan to Saint Paul to Brown's Town. People are hurting and rightly so. There's a lot of trouble in the world. But there's also a lot of good. I've been going back and forth between feeling overwhelmed and confused at how many terrible things happen (and that's not even counting the stories that aren't published/publicized in the media) and then feeling overwhelmed and comforted by the good things people do. There was a particular moment when I was reading the news and trying to process the violence against black people in the US  and then went straight to eating breakfast and joking with my team and our supervisor because he invited us to his house as a way to get to know us better. I'm trying to remember how complicated life is - even when it seems like the world is on fire, I still have many blessings that I can count.

Now for the Sunday Currently.

Reading Black Faces, White Spaces by Carolyn Finney. Finney looks at why African-Americans are underrepresented in the outdoors, whether it be in recreation or environmentalism. The book was on my list but I'm reading it now because we actually get the chance to work with her next week. I borrowed the copy I'm reading but I might buy my own copy once I'm finished with it.

Writing Ideas for my project with the Quinault Department of Natural Resources. I'm still not 100% sure of what I want. I know I want to work with plants, think about ways of communicating science, and to draw. One of my teammates and I may work on a project together but we need to brainstorm first.

Listening "Sudden Flight" by Protoje featuring Jesse Royal and Sevana. And to fireworks. They really like fireworks on the res. I used to think fireworks weren't all that bad. I think it's when I don't have warning that they're going off.

Thinking About what I should do for dinner.

Smelling Remnants of campfire smoke in my hair.

Wearing Sweats

Needing To tidy up my things and do some laundry.

Feeling Hungry

That's what I have for now. I hope you're taking care of yourself wherever you are.

Thanks for reading,
Keren


Leave a Reply

Keep them coming but keep them clean!

Keren Creates. Powered by Blogger.