Hi friends!

I'm grinning as I type this. It has been a while. But I'm back. (How many of you started playing "Formation" in the music player in your mind? That or good old Eminem.)

I decided to take another art course this semester. It's a painting class and we're working with oil paints. I won't lie, I feel pretty legit because there is a lot more involved with working with oil paints than using something like charcoal or watercolour paints. I'm going to spend a lot of time in the studio this year since 4' x 4' canvases aren't that portable. (I know right? I have a little spot in the studio.)





We started off simple. Our first assignment was fifty 5" x 7". Yes. Fifty. But it got done (as most things usually do). Initially, I was still in drawing mode and I would sketch the images before I painted them. That got real old real quick when I realized that I was spending roughly an hour on one degeh-degeh painting. Things were fun near the end when I had twenty-five paintings to do in about five days. ("Abstract" quickly became one of my top ten favourite words.)

We did our critique last Thursday and it was good seeing all the pieces together - mine and my classmates'. Viewing mine as a group helped me see themes and ideas that I gravitated towards - even though I wasn't conscious of them when I chose what I wanted to paint. I know that I wanted to depict things I like but I didn't realize how readily that translated to "things from home". I also didn't realize that I had a colour scheme of sorts. I used a lot of bright or pastel colours.



The realization that hit me the most was how transparent I made the paint look. Oil paint can be extremely thick and I think that's some of the beauty of it. But I also think I was frightened by that. Oil paints seem so permanent - almost like they demand to be noticed - and I was intimidated. Worried that I'd leave a mark I couldn't remove or that I wouldn't like the end result.

My first assignment and I'm already having these deep thoughts about what my thoughts on paint mean about me as a person. I think this is my cue to show some pictures.



My final one - a section from "The Lawd is My Shepherd" by Osmond Watson

My focus will be heavier on painting this semester since that's what I'm doing. But don't worry, I still have my beads and my yarn.

The song is "Ima Just Do It" by KB featuring Bubba Watson. (Also, tell me you don't love the line about the girl he's checking out having good credit. =D)



I hope the year is treating you well. And if you're reading this, I'm touched that you clicked to see what I'm up to.

Thanks for reading,
Keren


3 Comments

  1. Beautiful :) Looking forward to see how your style and the meanings attached to it change (or not) as the semester passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm interested in seeing how (and if) my style changes as well.

      Delete

Keep them coming but keep them clean!

Keren Creates. Powered by Blogger.