...or Keren Tells a Story
video



That right there is me speaking in a video. Here's the link if the video is giving any problems.

Our final presentations from my summer program (DDCSP@UW) were called our "stories". Each member in my cohort spent hours coming up with the story we wanted people to know about ourselves and what we learned over the eight weeks. I loved that they gave us the chance to tell people a little bit about ourselves but writing a story was more difficult than I expected. I almost wanted to do an academic presentation because it's easier to be detached and just get the facts out. When I worked on my story it took a lot more out of me than I thought it would.

A little bit on how I pulled this together. I started the first part last year in response to a lot of the violence against black people. It hit me pretty hard that no matter who I marry, my children will be black, and in the US, there are some scary things associated with that fact. I also got the idea of speaking to my unborn children after listening to "If I should have a daughter" by Sarah Kay. I didn't think to include the poem for my final presentation but I had a hard time pulling my story together. I realized that I couldn't give my story without considering my family and how I was raised. 

After many hours of writing and editing and reading out loud and doubting and rewriting, I finished my story. I will not underestimate the importance of rehearsing because there's no way I would have been as relaxed as I was speaking to an audience of about 40 people. I also could not have done it without the support of my cohort (check out other people's videos here) or Dr. Chenjerai Kumanyika who came to Seattle and helped us with our stories.

I think it's fitting that my last post brings my DDCSP experience full circle. I was a bit skeptical about sharing it but it's already on the Internet so I may as well add it to my corner of the Internet. 

Thanks to everyone who reads my words. As much as this is a space for me to share my thoughts - I wouldn't be posting them to a blog if I didn't want other people to read. I hope you enjoy the last days of 2015 and I'll see you next year.

Thanks for reading and listening,
Keren


2 Comments

  1. Wow that was amazing! I really enjoyed it Keren. Thank you so much for sharing your story as well as your other posts. I truly appreciate them. All the best & cheers to the 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it and I'm happy to share. All the best to you in 2016 as well.

      Delete

Keep them coming but keep them clean!

Keren Creates. Powered by Blogger.