Taken at the prairie
I mentioned before that I'll be trying new things. Even before I knew there was a blog component to DDCSP I wanted to spend more time on my blog. One idea I found is called The Sunday Currently from the blog, Sidda Thornton. It's a summary of the week and then sound bites of what I'm doing. I'm torn between whether it's vain or not but I'm going to go through with it. I've been putting my thoughts on this space since 2012 so it may be too late to worry about being conceited or not. (If you couldn't tell, I've had semi-battles with myself about whether or not it makes sense to use this blog but at this point I don't even care because I like it so I should just chill and do what I want with it.)With that out of the way, we looked at social justice this week. We had readings, discussions, presentations and field trips. I learned terms I've never heard of before like intersectionality and I realized that inequity will still be there even if I close my eyes and cover my ears. We visited a prairie, environmental organizations, and the Longhouse for the Duwamish - one of the First Peoples of this area. I also had my first American 4th of July.

That was a brute summary. For now, here's The Sunday Currently Volume 1. (It sounds so much fancier when I say "volume".)

Reading: Is Everyone Really Equal?: An Introduction to Key Concepts in Social Justice Education by Özlem Sensoy and Robin DiAngelo. This is part of our required reading. The chapters for tomorrow talked about Critical Thinking and Critical Theory and Prejudice and Discrimination.

Writing: My first ever Sunday Currently.


Listening: I'm slightly ashamed but not really. I'm playing "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice. I can't even type that with a straight face.

Thinking: That I should really finish packing soon.

Smelling: Ginger because I'm drinking ginger and lemon tea and eating ginger sweets for my sore throat.

Wishing: I was better at packing.

Hoping: For a smooth ride out to the Cascades tomorrow.

Wearing: Pajamas.

Loving: The good vibes coming from the people I'm with in Seattle.

Wanting: An ortanique

Needing: To finish packing!

Feeling: Unsure about this post but I know I just need to post it and then see how I feel about it after.

That's all I have for now. I think the overriding theme from this was that I really need to come off the computer and pack.


Leave a Reply

Keep them coming but keep them clean!

Keren Creates. Powered by Blogger.