Hello friends,

Exciting things are happening and I finally have time to write about them. I started a summer program that's centered around conservation and the environment. For the next few weeks I will be based in Seattle, Washington with a group of cool people from different parts of the US. It's called the Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Program (DDCSP) and it aims to show us the intricacies of conservation issues and promote diversity and inclusion in dealing with these issues.


A part of the program wants us to incorporate blog posts into what we're doing. I figured that instead of creating a new blog and abandoning this space for a while, I should just use this blog. I'm going to create a new sub-title and it will almost be a new series of sorts on this blog. This is new territory for me, because only a few of my posts have been about things other than my crafts.

The view from my window
A good place to start would be how I'm here in the first place. I learned about it by accident. It should have been one of those emails that professors forward to the class that I usually delete but I didn't for some reason. It was for my Intro to Environmental Science class and I think what captured my attention was the program's website. If you go to the site, you'll see what I'm talking about. It's very pleasing to the eye. After the pretty graphics drew me in, I started getting excited about the program itself. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this, but I've been interested in the environment for a while. Geography was always one of my favourite subjects and it's something I connect with. (Me defining why I like this field so much is always a hard thing to do. Maybe I'll hash it out in a post one day.)

After checking out the website, I reached out to the student who asked our professor to forward the email. He did the program last year and my conversation with him sealed my interest in the program. His excitement transferred to me and I sent in my application. A few months later, I received an email saying I was accepted. (Plot twist: I wasn't accepted and this entire post has been a complete farce.)

The dam at Cedar River Valley - one of the sites we visited
That's the simple story. It's been a good ten days. We've had discussions on how conservation and social justice are linked which is something I hadn't thought much about before. We've gone on a few field trips and were able to meet real people doing conservation work. (Real people as opposed to fake ones of course.) The coming weeks will have us doing things from camping and hiking to meeting with more conservation professionals. I'm excited.
Looking across Lake Union


Going on a walk with a few people in the group
That's my update. I hope these posts will document this journey and the insights and experiences I'll have during this program.

The song is "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor.



Thanks for reading,
Keren


7 Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Leah, btw. Not sure why Google calls me unknown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. [= Thanks Leah! I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

      Delete
  3. woohoo! Awesome post Keren! Also, pleasant surprise that I'm sort of mentioned :P haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viraj! Yes, you did get an honourable mention. [=

      Delete

Keep them coming but keep them clean!

Keren Creates. Powered by Blogger.