I want to try something new with this blog. Hi there. I'm back because I'm on a break now and I have time to breathe. I want to write about things other than my creations. I like blogging - it helps me clear my thoughts a bit but I don't always have time to work on new projects. What that means, is that depending on how this goes, I may create blog posts about different topics and not just my latest crochet/jewellery/craft piece.

The topic is Lent.




I guess I lied about this being a post purely about my thoughts. I made that in Adobe Illustrator. You can tell I'm in college because my biggest worry is how to cite the definition. I used my computer's dictionary which is supposed to be the New Oxford American Dictionary. There - citation.

I don't usually give something up for Lent, but this year I started thinking about what Lent signifies. I read those chapters up there (mostly the verses from Matthew and Luke. Mark basically went, "Then Jesus was tempted. And then he wasn't.") I decided to give up something significant. Desserts and meat came to mind but I decided against them. I wanted it to be something that bothers me - something I couldn't see myself not doing. (Also, my birthday falls during Lent and I really wanted to eat cake on my birthday. Haha.)

I gave up worrying. It sounds strange and I thought it was strange when I came up with it. My actual thoughts were: "Be real K, you can't give up worrying." That was when I knew I had to do it.

How has it been?

Difficult but rewarding.

I dealt with a range of situations over the past few weeks. There were moments (tests, things going on with friends) when I would worry and then stop myself, say a verse, and that would make me feel better. There were a couple times when I didn't have the energy to worry. In those cases, I straight up told God that I couldn't handle the situation and gave it to him. I've always thought that was a strange concept. I know the Bible says, "Cast your anxieties on him because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7) but I never comprehended it. I still don't get it fully but I do know that it's possible to give something up to God because who better to give it to?

Some practical things I did:

1) Read Philippians 4:4-7. Often.
2) Read 1 Peter 5:7
3) Wrote down my worries in a notebook and wrote updates/the outcome of the situation.


---

As I write this, I'm reminding myself of the energy I had at the beginning of Lent. Right now it has dwindled and I've been low-key worrying about things (and worrying about worrying about things!). However, I'm going to go back and read those passages to refresh myself. Even though Lent ends next week Thursday.

Even though my mind will always churn with thoughts, I think this Lent has helped me be more chill on the inside. I'll just remember to give things to God. I'm not in it on my own. I will keep up with it and since I have the notebook, I'll be able to look back and laugh (or cringe) at the things that worried me.

If anyone feels led to comment, did you give up anything for Lent? Or what would you give up for Lent if you did it?

The song is "No Longer Slaves" by Jonathan David and Melissa Helser from Bethel Music.

Thanks for reading,
Keren


2 Comments

  1. Thought provoking post. Appropriate, affirming music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I decided to try something new. [=

      Delete

Keep them coming but keep them clean!

Keren Creates. Powered by Blogger.