Right angle weave (RAW) was this week's stitch. I only managed to do two small projects (rings) because I had to work on some of the research/reading that I did for the more bookish aspect of my directed study. I read Understanding Jewellery by David Bennett and Daniela Mascetti and The History of Beads: From 100,000 BC to the Present by Lois Sher Dubin.

Here's a statement that stood out to me:

"Beads are therefore among the earliest evidence of abstract thinking. They could not kill an animal or provide warmth, but could render in material form concepts of prestige, prowess, protection, and beauty" (Dubin, 24-25).

We go hundreds of years back and jewellery was still used as adornment. It makes me happy that things that have little practical value are so highly regarded.


I'm mostly finished with my report/presentation so I made rings using right angle weave. I used Beading with Right Angle Weave by Christine Prussing.

I started this ring using two needle RAW but when I stopped it was at an awkward length and I wasn't sure what to do with it. I decided to continue with single RAW and make it long enough to be a ring.


I joined the ends when it was long enough. I realized that I had to add two of the side beads for each unit and then connect it to the other end.



Here it is:





I made the second ring with single needle RAW even though two needles may have been easier. It's made of single RAW units and then eight smaller beads connecting them.



I got fancy and tried adding more beads to make a concentric circle effect. I liked it but I think I'll leave it for another day.



It's Easter. Some of us in Christian Fellowship went on a hike and one of the things my teacher said was that this week someone asked him if this is it. You work hard to get into college. Work hard to get a degree. Work hard to get a job. I can't accept that working hard for the next thing is it. The mere fact that it's Easter and what that signifies shows me that there has to be more.

The song is "Rise Up" by Andy Mineo featuring Lecrae or Lecrae featuring Andy - who knows?

Thanks for reading. I hope positive vibes go your way this week.

-Keren

P.S. I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier this weekend. Read an awesome review here. And no this is not a self-promo. My vocabulary is not that impressive.


Leave a Reply

Keep them coming but keep them clean!

Keren Creates. Powered by Blogger.