Another Christmas come and gone. It's sinking in more and more that I'm growing up. Didn't even want gifts this year. Spent time with family and friends and ate food =D And who could forget the 5 am church service. A low-key way to remember the day Jesus was born (whenever it was). It was a good day.

But now for a bit of time travel. We go back to Sunday, December 8, 2013 and I have been let loose in New York City. Not quite. I was let loose in the Museum of Modern Art and the Whitney Museum. I wasn't exactly "let loose" either but a part of a chaperoned trip to New York and these museums. But let's not get caught up on details.

Museums usually intimidate me. I think I need to have some deep appreciation for art and culture and the creative mind. I'm never sure how to criticize or analyze many things. Whenever people ask how a book or a movie was I only tell them whether I liked it or not. I can go on and say why I felt that way about it but I don't pretend that my view was the view and that it is set in stone. Opinions are opinions.

But I stray.





I decided to have fun in the museums. I wasn't going to obsess about the meaning behind the painting or pry the hidden metaphor in the sculpture. I wandered. I paused. I smiled. I raised eyebrows. I yawned. However, I think the most important thing I did was to ask why those people were so important. Why had we travelled five hours to stand and look at these pieces on the wall? Many pieces seemed like they could have been created by me. I posed this to my teacher and asked why these were so significant when I could have created something similar. Her response was simple but it struck me. She said:

"But you didn't."

I could have measured the lines and angles in this installation:




But I didn't.

I could have taken these photos:




Leslie Hewitt

Stephen Shore
But I didn't.

And I actually could have made these two:



I think you get the point now.

Enough with the deep thoughts. Here's more of what I saw at MoMA and the Whitney:



I even tried flOw. The description said that the difficulty increased as the user got a hand of the game. Up to now I didn't see any changes in the difficulty. What does that say about me? Haha. 



It was a great trip. Who knows. I just might become an art enthusiast.

The year is almost over and I have this nagging feeling to make some resolutions or something. We'll see how that goes. =D

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and is psyched for 2014.


One Comment

  1. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete

Keep them coming but keep them clean!

Keren Creates. Powered by Blogger.